Leeds United Reading Stars
Leeds United Reading Stars features as part of the Premier League Primary Stars which uses the inspiration of sport to connect pupils’ learning to the world around them.
There are a range of resource packs for teachers and also some packs which have been made accessible without sign in specially for those learning at home - they have the title 'Home learning' (Many of these resources were created before the Coronavirus pandemic. Please always follow the latest official advice on social distancing).
What is it?
· Premier League Reading Stars is a KS2 Initiative Reading Stars
· An inspiring 10-session reading intervention created to increase engagement and progress levels in reading for Year 5 and 6
· It is aimed at pupils who are underachieving in reading but who love and are motivated by football
· Developed by the National Literacy Trust with teachers and authors to ensure it really works in schools, it supports the delivery of the statutory requirements for English Programme of Study in the English and Welsh curricula
· The sessions, known as Fixtures, give pupils the opportunity to practise their reading skills, including comprehension and inference, using football-related resources and texts.
· Inspires your reluctant readers and can help pupils make six or more months progress in just 10 weeks
· Encourages your pupils to become proud readers
· Increases pupils’ engagement and confidence in reading
· Creates a legacy for other pupils in your schools
· Gives pupils a lifetime love of reading/create lifelong readers
· Provides evaluation tools for schools to measure impact
· Other educational and school benefits
For further information visit the website at https://plprimarystars.com/resources (click on the reading stars filter on the menu to the left)
The Leeds United Foundation have worked in a number of schools in Leeds and have inspired lots of reluctant readers to develop a love and passion for reading through the Premier League Reading Stars initiative and using Leeds United as a vehicle to achieve this. The Foundation would like to open conversation with any schools and teachers about the benefits and the impact of the Reading Stars initiative and if you would like to receive more information about the Reading Stars initiative please email Matthew Herschell-Smith, Primary Stars Coordinator, on email@example.com