This course is for NQTs working with children who have English as an additional language (EAL), both British-born EAL learners and international new arrivals. It will include teaching and learning strategies for new to English pupils as well as advanced bilingual learners. We will also explore effective induction and assessment for EAL learners.
It will cover EAL pedagogy, induction and assessment for international new arrivals, teaching and learning strategies for the mainstream classroom, including a focus on speaking and listening. Delegates will also consider the linguistic challenges faced by advanced bilingual learners and explore how to create an inclusive learning culture within the classroom. Practical examples will be shared and modelled with delegates having the opportunity to develop these to use in their classrooms. We will explore how the teaching strategies can be adapted to use across all year groups and across a range of subjects.
- identify effective strategies to welcome new arrival pupils
- develop an awareness of the challenges for EAL pupils and how to address them
- be equipped with a range of practical activities for speaking, listening and developing productive language
- have an understanding of the assessment of EAL learners
- be equipped with a range of practical ideas to enhance access to the curriculum and to develop the learning environment
To book a place, please register and book online at www.leedsforlearning.co.uk and search for the course code. Cost: £150 Further queries contact: Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Audience: Primary NQTs