Research shows there is a strong correlation between domestic violence and alcohol misuse and both can have a significant impact on children and young people.
This one day course aims to explore the impact of parental alcohol misuse and the associated issue of domestic violence on children and young people.
Rory is an interactive alcohol education resource which helps primary aged children to understand parental alcohol misuse.
Rory tells the story of a dog who gets confused when his owner begins acting differently towards him. As the story unfolds it becomes clear that his owner’s change in behaviour is due to drinking too much alcohol. The story addresses key issues such as friendship, trust, keeping secrets and feeling safe.
In addition to Rory we also have Little Mouse Finds a Safe Place. When children have experienced or witnessed domestic abuse and violence, they are frequently left with many confusing and worrying emotions. They can feel responsible, guilty, ashamed, angry with themselves and their parents, frightened and insecure. They need to be enabled by empathic adults to safely express and understand their experience, and to work through and make sense of their feelings. Little Mouse Finds a Safe Place is a children's storybook designed to help professionals support children who have witnessed domestic violence. The book is written by co-trainer and therapist Ann Dix, who has more than 20 years’ experience of working with children and families who have experienced domestic abuse.
The Rory resource pack provides a range of materials based on the characters and themes of the story including a puppet, kennel, storybook and activity pack. The resource pack can be used by anyone in a position to address the issue of alcohol parental misuse including teachers, learning mentors and cluster support workers. For children who are not affected by this issue, Rory aims to help children develop empathy for those who are and supports the development of key life skills for the future.
Little Mouse Finds a Safe Place is a children's storybook designed to help professionals support children who have witnessed domestic violence abuse within the home. The book is designed to be read with children and also contains guidelines and resources for professional and parental use. Both a genuinely thrilling and moving story for children, Little Mouse also concisely conveys many important psychological messages which will be evident to professionals working in this field. Little Mouse genuinely conveys the tension and anguish of children in this situation, as well as providing a safe and contained ending that can open discussion with children and enable them to begin their own journey of healing with the adult alongside.
- Delegates attending this course will receive a full ‘Rory’ resource pack on a one per school/organisation basis (additional packs can be purchased at the full cost of £80)
Any schools wishing to purchase the Little Mouse resource are required to email proof of authorisation to purchase together with an order number (if applicable) in advance of the training. Please email authorisation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note the Little Mouse book and puppet are not included in the training but are available at a cost of £25.00
- Increased awareness of the physical and social effects of harm caused by alcohol
- Developed greater awareness of the impact of parental alcohol misuse on children
- Feel confident to use the Rory resource within a classroom setting or with a targeted group
- Increased awareness of the issue of domestic violence.
- Developed greater awareness of the impact of domestic violence on children
- Feel confident to use the Little Mouse storybook, puppets and other creative tools within a classroom setting or with a targeted group
- Increased confidence and skills in discussing parental alcohol use and domestic violence with children, including managing disclosures
- Be able to better identify children who are, or may be, affected by parental drinking and/or domestic violence
- Developed greater awareness of the support available to both children and families
There is a charge for this training in order to cover the cost of the teaching resource pack. We also highly recommend that 2 staff members attend this training, however schools will only be charged for one delegate place even when sending 2.
The breakdown of the prices for the course are as follows:
Leeds schools/settings with no service level agreement : £280 - this includes 2 delegate places as well as one Rory resource pack per school (value of pack - £80)
Leeds schools with a basic or full Service level Agreement package : 2 training credits + £40 (please note that this cost includes 2 delegate places and one Rory resource pack per school (value of pack - £80)
Non-Leeds schools : £320 - this includes 2 delegate places and one Rory resource pack per school (value of pack - £80)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DISCOUNTED RESOURCE FEE OF £40.00 WILL BE RAISED TO LEEDS AUTHORITY SCHOOLS WITH A CURRENT HEALTH & WELLBEING SERVICE SLA, AFTER THE TRAINING EVENT HAS TAKEN PLACE.